04 March 2009

'late night' eats: Becketts's in the Financial District


It's true what they say- the Financial District closes down at night. Few people in the streets- aside from doormen or residents walking dogs. I set out to find something to eat. I have been spoiled in Park Slope and other areas. At Nine P.M., I was struggling to find a restaurant that would still feed me (in close proximity to my Wall Street apartment). Below freezing temperatures will quickly curb any gusto or adventure you might have left in you.

I settled into Beckett's: A make-up of six flat screen TVs illuminating the pub-grub style spot. The menu offers the usual suspects: bangers & mash, crab cakes, hearty sandwiches...I settled on the Dublin Burger, as it was labeled "House Specialty."




A thick stack of beef with Irish bacon, Dublin cheddar and crispy deep fried leeks was set before me. The sandwich was accompanied by a generous side of sweet potato fries (you may also choose traditional fries or salad). I cut the sesame seed brioche encapsulated unit of delicious and managed to push some lettuce, tomato and pickle in there too.

Not bad.

My first thought was that I should have ordered the patty medium, rather than medium-well. It also could have used some sort of zesty sauce. I implemented ketchup to moisten the slightly dry beef. The crispy leeks are a nice touch, but I almost feel like the entire experience was a good idea that was executed with little passion or love.

Ultimately: my stomach was quite full, there was half a sandwich left, but not worth $17 plus tip (with soda).


81 Pearl Street.

No comments: