23 June 2011

What should I read next?



The one thing I truly miss about Summers in college: the ability to choose whatever books I wanted to read-- and the time to do it. On my days off from working at the local restaurants, I would take the ferry to Seattle to shop, eat, drink and explore. It's hard to beat a good latte and quiche at Elliot Bay Books, but Arundel was more my style: a smallish used books shop on First Avenue. The owner would happily suggest books, based on the favorites you shared with him.


From this man, I discovered Michael Chabon's Mysteries of Pittsburgh. And after my last page, I graduated to Wonder Boys...and I've read every book of Chabon's since.


Here's a great placebo to the bookstore owner who makes great recommendations: What should I read next? The software offers suggestions, based on the titles you enter!

No comments: